Lakeport is a charming small town at 1350 feet, set amongst the mountains and located on the western edge of Clear Lake.
Here you will be greeted with an old style friendly welcome and slower pace of life, with little traffic so that a tour around the Lake is yours to enjoy at a speed where you can appreciate the sheer beauty of this place.
Clear Lake is the largest, natural freshwater lake in California with 68 square miles of surface area. Lakes have existed at the site of Clear Lake for at least 2,500,000 years, possibly making it the oldest lake in North America. Clear Lake Basin attracted Native Americans early in their settlement of North America. Archeological evidence indicates human habitation around Clear Lake for the last 12,000 years.
Known as the Bass Capital of the West, Clear Lake supports large populations of bass, crappie, bluegill, carp and catfish.
In addition to fish, there is abundant wildlife within the Basin. There are year-round populations of ducks, pelicans, grebes, blue herons, egrets, osprey, and bald eagles. The Basin also supports abundant populations of deer, bear, mountain lion, raccoon and other animals.
There are many leisure activities to choose from in Lakeport and around Clear Lake.
Within a few minutes stroll of our accommodations:
- World class bass fishing on Clear Lake
- Boating and kayaking within four blocks of our accommodations
- Library Park for a pleasant stroll besides the lake and Friday night free music concerts during the summer season
- Music and entertainment at Soper Reese theater
- Shopping on Main Street where small local stores offer a variety of merchandise such as antiques, jewelry, clothes, books and fresh flowers, and more.
Within half an hour’s drive you will find:
- Farmer’s markets
- Clear Lake State Park
- Nature trails
- Bird watching around the lake
- Swimming in crystal clear water at Blue Lakes Resort for a very low day use fee
- Cycling trails and the famous Konocti Challenge
- Wine tasting at the numerous award-winning wineries around the lake
- Live music at local pubs and Old time fiddlers at Ely Stage stop near Kelseyville
- Casinos for gambling, entertainment and great cuisine
For more information and photographs on leisure activities click here